Monday, January 21, 2013

How long does it take to decompose

As a young child of about 6 I remember asking my grandmother why she saved everything, she reused her straws and plastic bags, she even had a whole drawer full of old twist ties. In her basement were shelves full of boxes with old glass jars, and other things I noticed that I thought were thrown away or recycled. 
She explained that she grew up in a very hard time known as the great depression and when she was my age there was not enough supply's to re-buy things and even if there were no one could afford it. She went on to tell me that things are often thrown away that are still useful, a old bread bag can keep your feet dry when you go outside if you wear it between your socks and boots, a old jelly jar can be used to can something grown in a garden. While she explained all this she had a sad remembrance about her, it stuck with me.
That was over 20 years ago now, things I have watched in my life have gotten worse in that aspect not better. We throw things away without a thought, no understanding of what really happens to it once its gone from our site. We produce so much waste unconsciously that pollutes our world and we have forgotten the value of reusing something till its really garbage, we need to change. 
A friend of mine often was seen after work off the clock taking all of the plastic soda rings she had set aside threw the work day and cutting them before she put them in the trash. I asked her why she was cutting all the rings from the soda and beer cans. She said, "so no animal can get stuck in them, I figure if I can make sure I am doing what I can then I can make a difference". I started doing the same thing and still do when I happen to buy something with plastic rings connecting a product together.
Every little bit helps right?

No comments:

Post a Comment